Summer beckons for lazy afternoons and refreshing dips in the pool. While community or gym pools are an option, nothing quite compares to the tranquillity of your own private oasis. That’s where pools for small backyards come in. A backyard pool offers the perfect setting to unwind with loved ones and bask in the summer sun.
The charm of a backyard pool lies in its versatility. No matter the size of your outdoor space, there’s a pool design to suit your needs. Even in smaller backyards, a pool can be an enticing addition, providing a refreshing escape right at home.
When considering pools for small backyards, it’s essential to explore the various types, designs, and sizes that best fit your space. Despite initial reservations about space limitations, there are numerous design and style options to integrate a pool into a compact area seamlessly. Here are some ideas for your future summer oasis.
Narrow Lap Pool for Rectangular Backyards
For those with more rectangular-shaped backyards, a long, narrow lap pool running across the end is an ideal fit. The elongated design complements the space, adding a touch of elegance without overcrowding. Introducing stone benches or a swim-out bench provides a perfect spot for relaxation and contemplation.
Plunge Pools with Landscaping
Compact or partially enclosed backyards can benefit from the allure of a plunge pool. While not designed for laps, these pools offer a serene space to cool off and unwind during sweltering summer days. When paired with lush landscaping services, plunge pools can create a visually stunning and tranquil retreat.
Waterfall Feature for a Natural Look
Even in small spaces, pools can exude grandeur with the addition of a waterfall feature. The gentle cascade creates a spa-like ambiance, transforming your backyard into an outdoor haven. Low-maintenance and visually captivating, a small pool with a waterfall feature adds a touch of sophistication to your outdoor space.
Dark Minimalist Style
Embracing a minimalist and modern aesthetic, pools with dark tiles present a sleek and sophisticated appeal. Their chic allure paired with minimal maintenance makes them an attractive option. Adding pool lights enhances their charm, creating a captivating spectacle in the evening hours. Combined with pavers and other hardscaping elements carefully chosen for you by our Avanti Landscaping experts, they create a unique and efficient pool.
Asymmetric Pools that Play with Shape
For compact backyards, asymmetric pools offer an innovative solution. By highlighting the best corner of your outdoor space, these pools infuse a sense of flair and character. Pairing an asymmetric pool with a wooden canopy or outdoor bar creates a unique and inviting atmosphere, perfect for hosting poolside gatherings.
Selecting the Perfect Pool
When looking for pools for small backyards, thorough research is vital to making an informed decision. Opt for installation companies that offer design flexibility and a practical approach, ensuring your pool aligns with your unique lifestyle and home needs. Consider the longevity of materials, such as engineered concrete or vinyl pools, to ensure your investment stands the test of time.
Harmonizing your pool design with existing elements like patios, garden beds, and stonework is essential for a cohesive look. Additionally, integrating features like walk-in steps, waterfalls, and grottos can enhance the overall ambiance of your backyard. We wrote more about it in one of our previous blog posts, “Choosing the Perfect Pool for Your Lifestyle.”
Types of Pools for Small Backyards
Of course, you don’t want to blindly go into choosing pools for small backyards. Further, we gathered main pool types and materials so you will know what questions to ask when talking to our experts. The main types of pools include:
- Above-Ground Pools. These are the most cost-effective and easiest to install. They come in various sizes and shapes and can be dismantled and moved. However, they are generally less durable than in-ground pools and have fewer design options;
- In-Ground Pools. These pools are permanent structures and come in various materials. They offer more flexibility in size, shape, and depth and can significantly increase property value. In-ground pools are more expensive and time-consuming to install;
- Fiberglass Pools. These in-ground pools are made from fiberglass-reinforced plastic molded into a basin shape. They have a smooth surface, are low maintenance, and have a relatively quick installation process. Fiberglass pools are limited in shape and size due to manufacturing and transportation constraints;
- Concrete Pools. Also known as gunite or shotcrete pools, they offer the most flexibility in terms of shape, size, and depth. Concrete pools can be custom-designed, but they require a longer construction period and regular maintenance;
- Vinyl Liner Pools. These pools have a custom-made sheet of vinyl between the water and the pool structure. They are cheaper than concrete pools and have many customization options. However, the liners need to be replaced every 5-9 years;
- Saltwater Pools. This refers to the chlorination system rather than the pool type. Saltwater pools use a generator to convert salt into chlorine. They are easier on the skin and eyes, have lower chlorine levels, and require less maintenance;
- Infinity Pools create the visual effect of water extending to the horizon. They are often custom-built and require complex engineering. Such pools are typically more expensive and we recommend them for properties with spectacular views;
Each pool type offers unique advantages and considerations, and the choice largely depends on personal preference, budget, site conditions, and maintenance willingness.
Materials for Pools for Small Backyards
The material you choose for your pool impacts its cost, appearance, durability, and maintenance requirements. Except for the previously mentioned vinyl, concrete, and fiberglass, here are some common materials we use in pool construction:
- Tiles offer a high-end look and come in various colours, sizes, and materials, including ceramic, porcelain, glass, and stone. They are durable and easy to clean but can be expensive to install and repair;
- Stainless steel pools are modern, durable, and resistant to corrosion and leaks. They are also suitable for elevated or rooftop pool designs. However, they can be expensive and have limited design options;
- Natural stone provides a luxurious and unique appearance. It’s durable and blends well with natural surroundings but requires regular maintenance to prevent algae and moss growth;
- Aggregate finishes combine plaster with pebbles, quartz, or glass beads. They provide a textured, colourful surface that is more durable than plain plaster. Aggregate finishes also offer more grip and are aesthetically pleasing;
- ICF pools. Insulated Concrete Forms are an innovative material increasingly used in pool construction for its energy efficiency and durability. Comprising foam blocks or panels connected with plastic or metal ties, ICF forms a mould that is then filled with concrete, creating a highly insulated and sturdy structure. This method not only speeds up the construction process but also provides superior insulation, maintaining water temperature more effectively than traditional materials. People prefer ICF pools for their reduced heating costs, lower maintenance needs, and resilience against leaks or cracks. Additionally, the flexibility of ICF allows for various shapes and designs, making it a versatile choice for both residential and commercial pools.
Each material has its pros and cons in terms of aesthetics, longevity, maintenance, and cost. The choice should align with your budget, the pool’s intended use, and the desired look for your outdoor space.
Avanti Landscaping: Crafting Unique Pool and Landscape Solutions
At Avanti Landscaping, we recognize the importance of designing pool and landscape projects that resonate with your personal style and complement your lifestyle. Our team crafts bespoke solutions that go beyond traditional pool designs and pools for small backyards, blending them seamlessly with the surrounding landscape to create a harmonious outdoor oasis. For expert advice on choosing the perfect combination of pool and landscaping design for your residence, contact Avanti Landscaping at (647) 697-3334.
A small backyard should never limit your pool aspirations. With the right design, placement, and features, a pool can transform even the most modest outdoor spaces into captivating retreats.